I had a Dictionary of values that I wanted to display in an XAML UI as part of a UWP app. My initial foray was to use a ListView with a binding to the dictionary ListView.ItemTemplate/DataTemplate. The dictionary was then bound to the ListView’s ItemsSource. The problem with the ListView is that there is a lot of padding between items vertically and within items.I wanted to compact the rows of data vertically though as if I had manually placed each dictionary item (key and values) in a grid of rows of TextBlocks in a row (one row for each item). This article discusses my trials and tribulations with this issue and includes my final solution.
The last leg, of 8, of the world Build tour was held in Sydney this week. What can I say .. it was great. A lot of new and coming Creators features were covered, Insight into the latest Windows technologies was dished out. Here are some of the highlights and summary links.
In a discussion about the demise of Silverlight, I came across this succinct dichotomy (as a diagram) of “Modern” apps in the Windows Mobile context.
Several months ago I published a UWP app on GitHub that interacted with a Texas Instruments CC2650STK SensorTag using the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) API. It was based upon a previous Microsoft sample UWP app for interacting with an earlier TI SensorTag. Whilst the new app ran well on the Windows 10 Desktop and Windows 10 Phone, it was found to be erratic on the Raspberry Pi3 running Windows 10 IoT-Core.. working well some times but errant other times. Windows 10 Creators Edition added a key feature to BLE, namely the ability to connect to a device that is advertising without being paired. This blog examines the erratic nature of the RPi3 with BLE and investigates whether this is solved with the Creators Edition. In so do a comparison is made between between BLE Paired and Unpaired connectivity in the UWP app development context..
Last night I attended a Meetup on Cyber Security with a IoT context sponsored by Kerpashky Lab. It was a great night with hosted by a female with three well credentialed females as the guest panelists. There was a interesting presentation on Cyber Security followed by a Q&A with the panel. This rhetorical question occurred to me.
My Lumia 930, on the Windows Insider Fast Track started running hot and flattening the battery in about 4 hours, before Christmas after the most recent update.
I provided feedback but could not find a solution. Final solution I found that worked was to do a a Factory Reset. I backed up my data first. On reset I let it reinstall my previous apps that were installed etc.
The ms-iot Community Samples site is now open for business. You can list your existing projects on the site along with meta information making it searchable. http://www.sportronics.com.au/ms_iot_Community_Samples
As of early December, as per a partly relevant message a few days ago, you can’t use Custom Domains from Office Outlook and Windows Mail apps. You have to migrate to Office 365.
I got the following message when I tried to publish a web site from Visual Studio (2015 U3) and when I tried to restart VS after a reboot yesterday:
Microsoft Visual Studio '-84' is not a valid value for property 'Width'. The solution is simple.
Microsoft maintains a suite of sample IoT projects on GitHub at https://github.com/ms-iot/Samples.
Primarily it is a site for appropriate Microsoft staff to maintain the site by
The question is, do they want community contributions? The site was originally worded in its ReadMe it appeared to seek community contributions in all four areas. During a recent discussion I had with the repository principals, it was decided that going forward in the long term, for maintainability, community contributions would only be sought in 3., bug fixes.
To that end, I have created a GitHub repository where developers can deposit a ReadMe.MD (ReadMe replaced by the project name). The file will have a simple textual database record at the top listing project properties, including a relative link to the project’s GitHub repository. The website as discussed here, is then able to get the deposited project ,md files and extract the database records, It then can import them to the site’s database (actually a json file) and save the .md file (without the db record) for display via the web site. The web site is able to list the records (key properties only) which can be filtered/searched and sorted based upon these project properties. Users are then able to select a project and view the complete db record. From there they are able to view the complete project ,md file.
This sequence of blogs briefly discusses the techniques/technologies used for the web site which include: