Yesterday I downloaded the Windows Embedded Standard 7 from:
This is the final (trial) version of WES7.  I created a new x86 image which worked OK.
It not available yet on MSDN Subscriber Downloads.


I had some problems with this.. I downloaded both the x86 and x64 IBWs as well as the Toolkit.  This consists of 3 DVDs ( 2 x IBWs + Toolkit)  but you download as parts that are about 480M each and reconstruct the DVD by running the first file of each.   The x86 IBW downloaded OK, but the last file for the x64 was truncated.  I re-downloaded the last x64 and all worked.  I had bigger problems (many files were truncated for some reason) with the toolset parts but kept re-downloading until I got it all.

My Embedded System

Image  Build

I created an x86 image using the x86 IBW.  Rather than use a DVD drive, I used a USB memory stick that I had previously prepared for that purpose.  That way I don’t need a physical DVD in my embedded box.  I have blogged about this elsewhere; I’ll make a copy of it here as a separate blog.  The key is that in configuring the USB stick, if its a x86 install, you have to configure it on an x86 Vista or Win 7 system.  Alternatively, if its an x64 install, you need to configure it on an x64 system.

For the uninitiated, with IBW, you boot from the DVD and install a bit like installing a normal Windows Operating System, except that you have a lot of option to do with hardware and software features.  You initially choose a template (macro) then fine tune it.  Alternatively, you can create an Answer File with teheToolkit which is used to partially automate the same build (install) process.

I chose a template with IE, Media Player etc as I intend making it a media device.

I tend to put the desktop version of the OS on the same box first as this can solve some issues, especially to do with drivers.  This was useful with the Beta and RC versions of WES 2010 (which is now WES 7).

My first build failed.  I had pointed to the installed drivers on my Win 7 partition which I think was the cause.  It sat on about 75% done for some time before reporting an error with loading drivers that I had pointed to.

The second image built OK ( I didn’t point to the Win 7 drivers) but it required a leap of faith as it again was at 75% for a long time, and went through a number of reboots (it said that it would do this though).  Its  pity that the install process doesn’t provide more (progress) feedback.

It took more than an hour to install.  This could be due to a slow USB memory stick, only 2 Gig of RAM, or that I am using a 1.6G 270 Intel Atom processor (with hyperthreading).

There was one device not installed but showing in the Device Manager.  I pointed this to Win 7 drivers directory
(\Windows\System32\DriveStore\FileRepository)  and it installed OK. 


I had to download and install the Realtek Audio driver from Intel to get the sound to work properly.


  • Configure the device as a Windows Media device including using a USB digital TV tuner.