I am using Visual Studio 2015 to create my Windows Universal Application and when I build and deploy it, I can’t find it listed on device or it is listed but with a GUID instead of the human readable name that I carefully gave it.  How can I fix this?

How can I see this problem?

The picture below shows the web access to a Raspberry Pi running Windows 10 IoT Core.  The highlighted item is the app that we will fix by giving it a human readable name.

AppX Manager Start

In Visual Studio, the Build output window shows:

1>Deployment complete (13982ms). Full package name: "77fae4cd-630a-45ec-9927-a72b8129f477_1.0.0.0_arm__j932756y98c8a"


How can I fix this problem?

You can edit the Package Manifest file, Package.appxmanifest, to change the Identity Name:




    Version="" />


Modified to be human readable

    Version="" />


But really it is better to change the manifest in the project Properties Application tab.   There click on the Package Manifest… button.  In the Package Manifest go to the Packaging tab, where you will see something like:

Package Manifest
if we now change the Package name from the highlighted GUID to MyExcellentApplication, and rebuild, the problem is solved.


First we see the Build Output change to:

2>Deployment complete (10689ms). Full package name: "MyExcellentApplication_1.0.0.0_arm__j932756y98c8a"


And we see the human readable name in the web interface:

AppX Manger Finish

But hold on, the old package name with the GUID is still there.  To fix that use the web interface to uninstall the old one.   Select the old one, then click on the Uninstall button.


Copyright © 2015 – Bruce Eitman and
All Rights Reserved